Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Death Angel

When I began drawing this image my intentions were to draw an angel. However, I drew the angel of death.

In Mogilev (Belarus), the city where I grew up, there is a freedom monument located on a giant hill surrounded by a busy highway on one side and a beautiful park on the other. This monument was made to honor and commemorate fallen soldiers of World War II.

On a giant pillar a statue stands, surrounding it are plaques with endless names. The statue is of a woman walking forward in a beautiful flowing dress. Arms as wings prepared for flight are spread behind her to take her to heaven. She serves as a guide for all the souls recorded to be lost at war.

I was a little girl when we would visit this monumental square, climbing what seemed like a gazillion steps just to reach it and the beautiful park.

My drawing is of the same death angel. Ready to take all the souls of the fallen soldiers of our time home with her to heaven. She walks through battlefields in search of those who need a guide. Her dress is soaked with blood but her purity exudes through every part of her. She is my monument.


No comments:

Post a Comment